March 9, 2018
National Bed Month is here! We're delighted to be promoting a better sleep for everyone! However, achieving a good night’s sleep can be a problem. Help is to hand and below are 6 ways to ensure you get a good, quality night's sleep.
1. Invest in a comfortable supportive bed: A bed and mattress with the correct support, comfort and space will mean you wake less, move about less, aren’t disturbed by your partner as much and are less likely to wake up feeling tired or aching. Your sleep won’t be as deep if you don't have the correct comfort.
2. Avoid clock watching: Hide the bedside clock or cover it, this will mean you will not be constantly checking it and stressing that you are still awake.
3. Don’t worry too much on how much sleep you’re getting: There’s no ideal amount of sleep for any one person, the best barometre to check you're getting enough is how you feel the next day! The most important thing is the quality of sleep you are getting and your comfort levels - which all comes back to a good, quality bed and mattress.
4. Write down tomorrows chores: Worry and anxiety often keeps us awake at night. A busy mind focussed on what is happening or needs doing the next day can keep us tossing and turning. A pad and pen by your bed will mean you can clear your head by jotting notes down - and you won't forget!
5. Watch what you eat: Not over-eating before bedtime and choosing foods with 'sleep-promoting' chemicals such as chicken and turkey, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, peanuts, beans and milk, will aid a good nights sleep. Stimulants such as alcohol and caffeine which reduce sleep quality and prevent you feeling rested.
6. Try to keep to a bedtime routine: Our bodies love routine so establish and prioritise a bedtime routine and try to keep it. A bed time routine signals the brain that it’s time for sleep.
Siimilar to a good diet and plenty of exercise, sleep plays a vital role in keeping us healthy and happy. We need sleep to keep us fit, thinking sharply, giving us an appetite and enthusiasm to make the most of everyday living. And the answer to all of the above begins with a good quality bed and mattress.